Building and Construction Careers

The construction industry delivers an exciting and diverse range of trades and occupations. Check out the list and find out more using the search tools.

Trades and Para-professional occupations

Click here to check out the list of Trades and Para-professional occupations

Building Site Management
Cabinet Making
Civil Construction
Construction Site Manager
Construction Waterproofing
Data & Voice Communications
Fire Protection
Painting and Decorating
Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
Roof Plumbing
Roof Tiling
Solid Plastering
Steel Fixing
Wall & Ceiling Lining
Wall & Floor Tiling

Career Search Tools

Check out Job Outlook to find out about career and labour market information to help you decide on a future construction career.

Take the next step and find out what qualifications you will need, and where to get training with My Skills.

Construction Pathways

School Students

  1. Students can attend school and study for their SACE.
  2. Work towards a nationally recognised vocational training qualification through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
  3. Undertake paid part-time work (minimum 8 hours per week). Extra hours can be negotiated with the employer during school holiday periods.
Adults - If you have left school or are looking for a career change you might be interested in a mature age apprenticeship

Earn while you learn – you may be eligible to receive financial assistance and a tools allowance.

Check out the Australian Apprenticeships website and call 13 38 73.

Check out the Adult Apprenticeship website for more details.

Find a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) near you who can discuss your situation and training requirements.

Construction Workers - are you a tradesperson wanting to recieve formal qualifications or learn a new trade?

A Registered Training Organisation (RTO) will be able to assist you with RPL (Recognised Prior Learning) to help you receive qualifications as a tradesperson and training advice should you wish to learn something new. Find a CITB endorsed RTO near you today and give them a call to discuss your options.

Latest updates

The Heritage Trades Program offers construction workers subsidised training at some of South Australia's prestigious heritage locations.

Did you know CITB offer a mentoring program to employers of Aboriginal apprentices? Call 8172 9500 @CITB_SA

This weekend the doors of Z Ward at the former Glenside Mental Hospital will open to the public again to host a showcase of traditional artisan trades in this magnificent heritage building. Visitors will be welcome to roam the building and to find out more about heritage conservation and the skills needed to preserve our heritage places. Artisan tradespeople will present a variety of live interactive demonstrations of traditional skills and their use in conserving heritage buildings, including stonemasonry, fibrous plastering, blacksmithing, lead lighting, roofing, pressed metal and heritage carpentry. You will be welcome to roam this amazing building and to find out more about heritage conservation and artisan skills. The open day is hosted by the new Australian Artisan Trades Academy (AATA) the first heritage skills academy in Australia offering specialist seminars, training courses and practical learning opportunities in the applied use of traditional trades and skills. AATA a unique collaboration between Applied Building Conservation Training and the National Trust of South Australia. Date: Saturday 25th November Time: 10am - 3pm Address: Z Ward. Access via Conyngham Street, Glenside. Map: FREE ENTRY More information call (08) 8202 9200

The CITB levy explained ...