CITB currently offers three Building and Construction Scholarships through the University of South Australia. This partnership aims to promote and support the uptake of degree qualifications by workers in the construction sector.
The scholarships provide financial support to students over three years. CITB have an objective to increase the number of scholarships to nine in the future.
The scholarship is worth $5,500 per year on a full time study basis or $2,750 part-time. Funding will continue throughout studies up to a maximum of $22,000.
Applicants must be employed for a minimum of 20 hours per week in the South Australian building and construction industry by an employer recognised by CITB and must also be full-time or part-time enrolled in an eligible UniSA program.
Eligible UniSA programs include:
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be Australian citizens, permanent residents or hold a permanent humanitarian visa
- reside in South Australia whilst in receipt of the scholarship
- employed within the South Australian building and construction industry by a CITB eligible employer
- enrolled in a full-time or part-time eligible UniSA program
- be in their first or second year of study
To apply, applicants must provide:
- curriculum vitae
- letter from employer confirming details of employment
- written statement (maximum 500 words) detailing:
- reason for studying construction
- history of other relevant training courses completed
- future career goals and the impact they would like to have on their chosen profession
- what attributes they possess that make them an ideal ambassador for CITB Scholarship
- any relevant information demonstrating the criteria of an equity group.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to attend an interview.
The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of passion for the construction industry, employment history and any relevant prior training completed. Recipients must be willing to act as an ambassador for the CITB Scholarship (e.g. participate in occasional activities such as filming/interviews to document the journey and impact of the scholarship).
Three scholarships will be awarded per annum, at least one of which will be awarded to a female student or a student from a socio-economic group that is underrepresented in terms of university participation.
Scholarship continuance is subject to satisfactory academic performance (Grade Point Average of 4 or above) and ongoing employment (minimum of 20 hours per week) within the South Australian building and construction industry with a CITB eligible employer. A break in employment can be no longer than 3 months.
Applications for the CITB scholarship open in March 2019. For more information and to apply, head to the University of South Australia scholarship page.
2018 Inaugural Scholarship Recipients
In 2018 three inaugural scholarships were offered to the following students.