Contractors Licence

Please contact Consumer and Business services on 131 882 for further information regarding the requirements for contractors licence.

Consumer and Business Services Contractors Licence

Once you've finished your apprenticeship, you'll be qualified in your chosen career. Many apprentices stay with their employer, having built a great working relationship with their boss and a deep knowledge of the business.

Some apprentices will move to a different employer to get a chance to experience more of what their career has to offer. Some will do further study to gain more skills or to specialise within their chosen field.

Another option is to start your own business. The Federal Government offers assistance to people starting their own business through New Business Assistance with NEIS. If you're eligible, you can access further training, an allowance and mentoring - all geared towards supporting you while you build a successful new business.

Find out more about New Business Assistance

If you wish to start your own business in the construction industry, you will need a builder’s licence. You can apply for your builder’s licence through Consumer and Business Services (CBS). The two types of builder's licenses are:

1. Building Work Contractor

Individuals and businesses must be licensed as building contractors, including subcontractors if they run a business that carries out or organises building work for others.

To obtain this licence, you will be required to:

  • Have at least $10,000 in net assets.
  • Complete some additional units of competency to demonstrate that you have the necessary financial knowledge to operate a business.
  • Have a current National Police Certificate.

2. Building Work Supervisor

Building work supervisors make sure that all building work performed meets the required building standards. Supervisors must be registered and approved by Consumer and Business Services (CBS).

To obtain this licence, you will be required to:

  • Provide copies of your Trade Certificate/s.
  • Attend a technical interview with a CBS assessor to demonstrate your knowledge and experience.

Sole traders normally apply for a Building Work Contractor's licence and Building Work Supervisor registration at the same time as both are required to contract work.

There are various application fees associated with applying for a Building Work Supervisor’s Registration or a Building Work Contractor licence.

CITB provide subsidy for the following units:

Unit of competencyTitleCITB Subsidy
BSBSMB402Plan small business finances $260.00
BSBSMB421 Manage small business finances$260.00
Non-accreditedManaging small business finance in the building and construction industry$260.00
BSBSMB401Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business$260.00
CPCCBC4009B Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects$260.00
Non-accreditedLegal requirements and the building and construction industry$260.00
CPCCBC4007A Plan building or construction work$130.00
CPCCBC4004A Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects$260.00
CPCCBC4003A Select and prepare a construction contract$130.00
CPCCBC4024A Resolve business disputes$60.00


Business Criteria Contractors: companies and individuals